Sound of Snow Falling
Sound of Snow Falling is a graphic novel done in a poetic documentary mode. In this unique work, the reader becomes a voyeur of the natural world, following a great horned owl family through the dead of winter. Extensively researched and expressively painted, Sound of Snow Falling is a triumph of the comics form. $22.95 | 104 pages | 6.8 × 8.5 inches | full color offset | flexiboundBEST AMERICAN COMICS 2018 Notable title
Reviews & Press
- A Review of Maggie Umber’s Sound of Snow Falling, Comics Workbook Daily News, October 26, 2017.
- Review: Sound of Snow Falling by Maggie Umber, Sequential State, October 13. 2017.
- Sound of Snow Falling shows the value of comics as a record of natural life, AV Club, October 12, 2017.
- Sound of Snow Falling Explores the Natural World in this Gorgeous Study of the Great Horned Owl, Broken Frontier, August 9, 2017.
- A Review of Sound of Snow Falling. 2dcloud: Minneapolis, MN, Solbacka, August 5, 2017.
- Sunday Review: Sound of Snow Falling, Wildness: A Curated Literary Guide. July 31, 2017.
- Review: The Collected Neil the Horse, You & a Bike & a Road and Sound of Snow Falling, The Globe and Mail, June 16, 2017.
- My Comic Book Pick Me Ups! The Canada Comics Open Library, October 12, 2019.
- The Beat’s Holiday Gift Guide: For the Indie and Small Press Comics Admirer, Comics Beat, December 8, 2017.
- Finding the Right Comic for the Right Kid, CBC/Radio Canada, September 21, 2017.
- The 10 Most Interesting Comics of June, Mental Floss, June 23, 2017.
- 2dcloud Launches Stellar Spring 2017 Crowdfunding Effort to Publish Gothic, Poetic and Owl Comics, Comics Beat, March 5, 2017.
Mesmerizing... As in nature, the more you look, the more you see. — Julie Zickefoose, author & illustrator of Baby Birds: An Artist Looks Into the Nest, The Bluebird Effect: Uncommon Bonds with Common Birds, and Letters from Eden: A Year at Home, In the Woods
Umber beautifully uses comic form to take the reader through intimate movements in nature. — Aidan Koch
Umber has captured a small reflection of the natural divine. — Tiny Pages Made of Ashes
Umber's thrillingly inventive approach to cartooning constitutes an act of real empathy with the earth, an attempt to embrace the alterity and sovereignty of the sentient life that surrounds us. — The Globe and Mail
Est-ce que tu as cherché à figurer la vision animale? — Les cahiers du bruit
- Interview on ‘Sound of Snow Falling’, Smash Pages, July 31, 2017.
- interview avec l’illustratrice Maggie Umber, Les cahiers du bruit, June 5, 2017.
- Maggie Umber on her Latest Graphic Novel, Owls, Research & Colors, Comics Beat, March 8, 2017.